New Ulm had its beginning as Duff’s Settlement in honor of James C. Duff to whom the land was granted in 1841. The old community of New Ulm was about one mile north of the present town of New Ulm.
About the year 1840, the people petitioned the government for a post office. It was then decided to name the community to New Ulm in honor of Ulm, Germany since many of the settlers came from that area. In 1852 New Ulm officially became a post office town. There was a hotel, cigar factory, several stores of general merchandise, several cabinet makers, several blacksmiths, a shoemaker, a tailor a brewery and gin.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.