The earliest residents (evidence dates them back to 1527) were Tonkawa and Comanche Indians who pursued the great herds of buffalo. White settlers began moving into the area began as early as the 1820s, fueled by cheap land grants given by Stephen F. Austin. Indian raids continued until the 1840s.
In 1826, a twin blockhouse called Moore’s Fort was built within what is now the city limits. By 1831, a small community had developed and in 1837, a town was platted. When the Congress of the Republic of Texas established Fayette County the same year, La Grange became its seat of government. Fayette County is named after the Marquis de Lafayette, a Revolutionary War hero. The City of La Grange takes its name from his chateau to which he retired.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.